A Domainer's Dashboard – DNW Podcast #72
- This service lets you get a handle on your domain name investing business.
Can Efty help domain name investors make more money? Co-founder Doron Vermaat explains how Efty creates a dashboard for your domain business, and how it can help you sell more domain names.
Also: Berkens’ big payday, Tesla gets Tesla.com, big .org contract out for bid, Rightside’s biz and .Cloud shoots up into the clouds.
Subscribe via iTunes to listen to the Domain Name Wire podcast on your iPhone or iPad, or click play ... read more ...
Name.com to heading a Bearglecorn
- Don’t rip off the Bearglecorn or Statton Hammock will send you a cease desist.
Rarely seen in the wild, the Bearglecorn was just spotted in a trademark application filed with the USPTO.Perhaps fed up with people trying to rip off its Bearglecorn (you know you’re out there!), Name.com parent company Rightside has filed a trademark application covering the beast.
Wait–I’m sorry? You aren’t familiar with the bearglecorn!?!
Perhaps that’s because you’ve never landed on a Name.com 404 page. ... read more ...
Here's what's function during Rightside
- Company will invest more in marketing to improve new top level domain name results.
Yesterday, Rightside released Q4 earnings. The good news is that it turned in record revenue and an adjusted EBITDA that topped guidance.
The bad news is that revenue growth over Q3 was nominal, especially for new top level domain names.
While it’s probably fairer to look at year-over-year revenue growth in most product lines, new TLDs are different. Rightside needs to show strong quarter-over-quarter growth in ... read more ...
Rightside reports record income though new TLD income expansion is slow
- Revenue grows in Q4 but new TLD revenue remains just a small fraction of the total.
Rightside (NASDAQ:NAME) today reported record quarterly revenue for Q4 of $55.7 million, and full year revenue of $212.5 million.
All three segments of the company — registrar, registry and aftermarket — showed quarter-over-quarter growth. But registry services (aka new TLDs), where the company is betting on its future, grew only slightly.
The company reported $2.5 million of registry services revenue, up from ... read more ...
Rightside Establishes Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise in China & Plans To Be Licensed in 2016
- Rightside (NAME) announced today its expanded operations in China by establishing a Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise (WFOE).
Rightside says that there are almost 90,000 domains registered in the their portfolio of 39 new gTLD’s in the Chinese market, with .LIVE, .NEWS, and .PUB being the most popular.
There are currently 5.4 million new TLDs registered in China, which represents 45% of all new TLD registrations.
China is requiring all domain name registries to acquire a license for their domain ... read more ...
Rightside Lays Off "Around 6% of It's Employees"
Michael Berkens, Esq. is a owner and Editor-in-Chief of TheDomains.com. Michael is also a co-founder of Worldwide Media Inc. that sole around 70K domain to Godaddy.com in Dec 2015 and now owns around 5K domain names . Michael is also a Director of RightoftheDot.com that is a consultant in a new gTLD space and a attorney of super reward domains. Michael was also one of a 5 Judges comparison for a a Verisign 30th Anniversary .Com competition this year.
Rightside Adds Short New gTLD's With Normal Renewals To ROTD/Namescon Auction
- Rightside® (Nasdaq:NAME), today announced that it will be participating in the RightoftheDot.com domain name auction as part of the Namescon conference that will be held next Monday, January 11th at 2PM EST.
All domain names carry a normal renewal fee for the relevant extension, None carry a premium renewal fee.
In keeping with the recent boom of 1, 2, and 3-character second-level domain sales, Rightside has added the premium domains:
All ... read more ...
Namejet.com Has Record Breaking Month Reporting Almost $3 Million In Sales
- Namejet.com reported its sales for December 2015, selling 383 sales at $2k and above for a total of $2,964,861, nearly double their previous record breaking month of November, 2015.
Namejet only reports on sales of $2,000 or more.
23 of the top 40 domain names were for three letter .com (LLL.com) domains, of the remaining 17 domains in the top 40, 5 were two letter .net domains (LL.net) and 4 more were four number domains .com domains (NNNN.com)
With the RightoftheDot.com auction from Namescon being ... read more ...
Frank Schilling invests another $1 million in Rightside
- Domain name investor buys more shares, and has made a small profit.
A company connected to domain name investor Frank Schilling has purchased another 150,000 shares of Rightside (NASDAQ: NAME) stock, increasing his interest in the company to 6.1% of shares outstanding.
An SEC filing reveals that Schilling has paid a total of $8,387,181, including brokerage commissions, to acquire his stake. That means he has paid an average of $7.24 per share. Shares are trading for about $8.00 right now, so Schilling ... read more ...
.News rings adult $1.4 million for Rightside
- Rightside reveals numbers behind successful TLD, plus renewal rates.
Less than 4 months after its general release, the .News domain name has generated $1.4 million in cash sales for Rightside (NASDAQ: NAME).
On yesterday’s investor conference call, Rightside CEO Taryn Naidu reported that there are about 34,000 names registered in .News.
The average wholesale price — which includes premiums — is $41. This brings the total to $1.4 million cash. (Revenue is recognized over time.)
1,000 of the ... read more ...
CentralNic Passes 2 Million Registrations of New gTLD
- CentralNic Group PLC has over 2.0 million domains registered using its platform representing 21% of all new gTLD domain names.
Of the 2+ million new gTLD registered through CentralNic 1,552,903 are .XYZ domain names. The only other extension using CentralNic that has 100,000+ is .website, although .online is quickly approaching with just about 95,000 domain names.
CentralNic passed Rightside (NAME), which not only has its own new gTLD extensions as a registry but also performs the back end provider ... read more ...
Rightside turns in record income in Q3
- Rightside posts record revenue, positive adjusted EBITDA.
Rightside (NASDAQ: NAME), parent company of eNom, Name.com and owner of dozens of top level domain names, released earnings this afternoon.
The company generated $54.1 million in Q3, a record for the company. It had a net loss of $(3.4) million for the quarter, but an adjusted EBITDA of $0.9 million. Rightside now expects an adjusted EBITA of $2.0-$3.0 million for the year, up from a break-even forecast.
Rightside also received a net $1.7 ... read more ...
RightoftheDot/ 4.CN Auction Sells Over $871K in Domains
- The RightoftheDot.com domain name auction on the 4.cn platform as part of the Domainfest.asia conference generated over $871,000 in sales.
All sales were led by a three number .com, 586.com which sold for $416,000
The two next highest sales, zhou.com and 8.xyz were both listed at no reserve.
Several of the domain name sales occurred, as they often do after the domain auction concluded which is why it took RightoftheDot.com some time to wind up the auction and first publish the results.
To note, the ... read more ...
1St Day New gTLD Totals: .Live 3,470; .Studio 2,032; .SRL 223
- Two new gTLD’s launched into general availability (GA) yesterday .Live and .Studio both owned by Rightside (NAME) and one launched Tuesday offered by InterNetX; .SRL
Including domain names registered in the Sunrise period by trademark holders and those registered in the Early Access Program (EAP) where registrants paid an extra fee to register domain names before (GA); here are the totals for each new domain extension after the first day of GA where domains could be registered on first come, first ... read more ...
Frank Schilling (FTS, Corp) Now Owns 5.5% Of Rightside
- According to a SEC filing (Schedule 13D), a corporation out of the Cayman Islands FTS, Corp (FTS) now owns over 5.5% of the outstanding shares of publicly traded Rightside Group, Ltd. (Nasdaq: NAME).
FTS is the initials of Frank Schilling and the form is signed by a Ria Scott Blyth who according to their Linkedin page is an Executive Assistant for Uniregistry.
According to the filing FTS, Corp owns 1,008,142 shares representing 5.5% of the outstanding shares of Rightside.
According to the filing, ... read more ...
A Frank Schilling association owns some-more than 5% of Rightside
- SEC filing discloses interest in company.
Some people say the domain name business is an incestuous industry. They might be right.
An SEC filing this afternoon discloses that a company associated with Frank Schilling now owns 5.5% of the company.
The filing was made by FTS, Corp in Grand Cayman. Schilling’s middle name is Taylor, hence FTS are his initials. The filing was made by Ria Scott Blyth, Administrative Assistant of FTS Corp. Her LinkedIn profile shows that she works for Frank Schilling’s ... read more ...
Panel manners that Rightside's .Cam focus is still in a mix
- String confusion objection ruling is overturned.
Verisign’s successful string confusion objection against Rightside’s .cam top level domain name has been overturned.
ICANN was put in a sticky situation after Verisign’s string confusion objections against two .cam applicants failed, but it prevailed against Rightside’s .cam application.
The group decided to have a panel review the Rightside decision, and that panel has overturned (pdf) the original decision. As a result, the two other applicants ... read more ...
eNom.com Is fasten SedoMLS Network
- eNom.com just announced that it is joining SedoMLS
eNom and its’ resellers’ customers will be able to sell their premium domains on the SedoMLS premium network and which includes hundreds of sales partners, including top registrars around the world.
As the largest global domain distribution network, SedoMLS offers maximum exposure syndicating listed domains on more than 650 partner websites which now includes eNom.
Matt Overman, VP GM, Aftermarket and Premium Domains at Rightside. is quoted ... read more ...
Rightside: 2 $100k .Video Sales, $1M from .News and new TLD renovation rates
- Rightside reveals three interesting numbers about its new top level domain names.
Rightside held its quarterly analyst call yesterday after releasing second quarter results.
Here are three interesting notes about new top level domain names that Rightside mentioned on the call:
1. The company has sold two more domains for at least $100,000. The names were not disclosed, but both were under the .Video top level domain.
2. The company has received $1 million cash from .news so far. It recognizes the ... read more ...
Rightside has record income in Q2
- Rightside continues upward trajectory.
Domain name company Rightside posted record revenue of $52.2 million in Q2, the company announced today. That compares to $46.7 million in Q2 2014 and $50.5 million in the first quarter of this year.
The company posted revenue gains in all three segments compared to Q2 2014.
Registrar services revenue, which includes eNom and Name.com, increased 10% to $43.3 million compared to $39.4 million.
Registry services revenue, which includes both Rightside’s own TLDs ... read more ...
Rightside and NameCheap ink longer tenure deal
- Deal adds some certainty to Rightside’s future revenue.
After frequent short-term extensions, Rightside’s eNom and reseller NameCheap have signed a longer term reseller
Many people are surprised to learn that NameCheap, which manages millions of domain names, is actually a reseller. It’s an important one to Rightside; NameCheap represents 26% of its domains under management.
The new deal is through December 31, 2018 and will automatically renew for an additional three year term unless ... read more ...
Rightside Appoints Jason Silverstein as Vice President of Product and Engineering
“A veteran digital executive who has helped a number of teams create online products, services and experiences, Silverstein has worked at both venture-backed start-ups and top Internet companies.
He comes to Rightside from American City Business Journals — a premier publisher of local business, sports and auto news — which employs 1,600 people in over 40 cities.
As Senior Vice President for Digital Operations at American City Business Journals, Silverstein’s teams developed and supported ... read more ...
Rightside Publishes Post On Taking Down The Bloomberg.Market Website
- Rightside (NAME) just published a post about the new gTLD domain name Bloomberg.Market which as we wrote earlier today which led to a huge rally in shares of Twitter and more than 50 million shares being traded today which is more than double its average three-month volume.
Within a few hours of our post Rightside shut the domain name down.
Rightside, which is the registry for the new gTLD .Market, issued a statement on its company blog about the events of today:
“”Earlier today, we learned ... read more ...
Enom.com Wins Rights to Enoms.com Just 15 years After it Was Registered
- eNom.com won the rights to the domain name Enoms.com in a UDRP just 15 short years after the domain name was first registered and 8 years after the domain was registered by the current domain holder.
By the way you got to love the name of the domain holder “Muhammad Enoms General delivery / ENoms.com has been registered just few days after Enom.com, therefore could not have been regstere” (“Respondent”), Indonesia
The registrant actually ran out of room to put in the line for the Administrative ... read more ...
.News Sets Record With Of Over 400 Registrations on Day 5 of EAP; Now Over 1,000
- The new gTLD .News has set what WE believe is a record number of domain name registrations in Day 5 of AN Early Access Program (EAP) and now has over 1,000 registration.
In the Early Access Program registrants pay an extra fee to register a domain name ahead of general availability (GA) where domain names become available to be registered on a first come, first served basis.
On day 5 the whole price of the EAP fee is $100.
This means that Rightside (NAME) just made over $40,000 in just EAP fees in ... read more ...