In Less Than 2 Years, .XYZ Passes 14 Year Old .BIZ to Become 5th Largest Domain Extension
The new gTLD domain name extension, .XYZ is which won’t be two years old until, June of this year, just surpassed the domain extension .Biz which has been around since 2001 in the number of domain registrations.
According to RegistrarStats.com, .XYZ now has 2,369,039 domain name registered which passed .Biz which has 2,305,687 domains registered.
In passing .Biz, .XYZ becomes the 5th largest Top Level Domain (TLD) in terms of domain name registrations.
Only .com, .net. .org and .info have more ... read more ...
Verisign's Top Trending Keywords In Dec For .Com & .Net Include Chinese Fang & Wang
- The top 10 trending keywords registered in .com and .net during the month of December 2015 are below release by Verisign the registry for .Com and .Net are as follows.
Interesting to note that Wang is the third biggest gTLD extension (.Wang) by registration volume with over 620,000 registrations as of today’s totals.
... read more ...
Judge In 1st Verisign vs. XYZ Case Publishes 15 Page Opinion
- The federal judge CLAUDE M. HILTON who granted a summary judgement in favor of .XYZ and Daniel Negari last month throwing Verisign’s case for false advertising out, today handed down a 15 page Memorandum Opinion supporting the summary judgement decision and of course its very interesting.
Here are the highlights:
THIS MATTER comes before the Court on Defendants XYZ.COM, LLC and Daniel Negari ‘s (“XYZ” or “Defendants”) Motion for Summary Judgment.
Plaintiff Verisign, Inc Defendant XYZ ... read more ...
Verisign Trending Keywords For Oct Include TM of Nike
- Verisign(VRSN) just published it’s trending keywords for domain names registered in .com and .net in October
The term “Ok ” is the number one .Com trending term, which is pretty strange.
Words on the trending list for .com include; walk, blab, sold
It’s pretty early for Christmas, but it’s never to early for marijuana.
On the .Net list I don’t know who is registering all those domains with Nike in them but its unusual to see a trademarked terms on the top 10 list
With that said, ... read more ...
Domain Registration At a Record Pace 460,000, Yesterday
- The huge surge in daily domain name registrations continued yesterday as over 460,000 domain names were registered across all Top Level Domains (excluding ccTLD).
Traditionally the number of domain name registrations slow on the weekend, to the point where it’s not unusual to see the number of .Com deleted, exceed the number of new registrations for the day, leading to a negative number.
Well not yesterday.
The total number of new domain registrations Saturday was over 460,000.
.Com had over ... read more ...
Last Call: 6 Number .Com's: Less than 8K Left Out of 1 Million
- If you’re considering registering any 6 number Ccom domains (NNNNNN.com) I’m going calling “Last Call’.
As of publication less than 8,000 NNNNNN.com remain available for registration.
The possible number of 6 numbered .com domains is 1,000,000 including the dreaded number 4 and zero.
We would expect all of these domain name to be registered by the end of the weekend.
There is a huge run on numbered and Letter domains in .com, .net, .xyz, .top and .win over the last couple of months.
.Com, ... read more ...
Verisign Reports: 135.2M .Com/.Net Domains, Increase 3.4% : Has $1.9 Billion In The Bank
- VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN), today reported financial results for the third quarter of 2015.
VeriSign, Inc. and subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $266 million for the third quarter of 2015, up 4.2% from the same quarter in 2014.
Verisign reported net income of $92 million and diluted earnings per share of $0.70 for the third quarter of 2015, compared to net income of $95 million and diluted EPS of $0.69 for the same quarter in 2014.
The operating margin was 58.1% for the third ... read more ...
Verisign: 9.2 million new .com and .net registrations final quarter
- Verisign drives new registrations, grows overall base in .com and .net.
Verisign reported earnings this afternoon, and disclosed that it handled 9.2 million new .com and .net registrations in Q3. The number of new registrations per quarter is typically in the 8-9 million range.
On its investor conference call today, Verisign executives said the growth was driven internationally, particularly in Asia (including China and India). The company expects the pace of activity in the 3rd quarter to slow sequentially ... read more ...
Verisign: XYZ Is 6 On The Top 10 Trending Keyword For .Com Registrations In September
- Verisign’s (VRSN) published the top 10 keywords in registered in .COM and .NET in September and with the help of Google who bought amazing publicity to the .XYZ extension with its acquisition of abc.xyz, the term XYZ was number 6 on the top 10 .com list.
In all 2356 .com domain names were registered that contained XYZ and here is the list of September .com registrations that contained XYZ
Curiously the domain name google-abcdefghijklmnopkrstuvwxyz.com was registered in September before it was ... read more ...
Verisign: Trump & Alphabet Both Make tip 10 Trending Keywords in .Com & .Net In August
- The words Bank, Local, Experts, Trump, Scope. Alphabet, Fantasy, Tomorrow, Method and Teeth were the top trending keywords registered in .Com in August according to Verisign the registry for the .com and .net extensions.
Alphabet is related to Google’s naming of its parent company and Trump I think you can figure that one out for yourself.
Trump and Alphabet where the only two trending keywords to make the top 10 of .com and .net
Before anyone goes and registers a bunch of Trump domains you might ... read more ...
Over 100 Kanye West President Domains Registered Today In Many Extensions Even .XYZ
- Since announcing he is running for President of the United States in 2020 at the MTV Music Video Awards last night, people have been registering domain names related to the hip-hop artist promised presidential run.
From PresidentKanyeWest.com to Kanye2020.com to people who are really looking down the road registering kanyewestforpresident2024.com and Kanye2028.com there are a lot of domain names registered in various extensions today.
I even found some new gTLD domain names registered including ... read more ...
.XYZ seeks to boot Verisign's consultant testimony
- New TLD company claims some expert testimony should not be allowed.
.XYZ is asking the court to dismiss expert testimony from four expert witnesses in Verisign’s false advertising lawsuit against the new top level domain company.
Some of the court filings are heavily redacted, leaving out the juicy details many in the domain name want to know. All expert witness reports were filed under seal.
For example, just what kind of deal did .XYZ have with Network Solutions when the latter gave away hundreds ... read more ...
Google's Alphabet Inc. Announcement Fires Up .com / .net Registrations
- As we noted earlier today over 6,000 .XYZ new gTLD domain names were registered yesterday, after Google Inc. announced it’s holding company Alphabet Inc., using the domain name ABC.XYZ.
It is interesting though, as Mike pointed out that of the 6,000 newly registered .xyz domains registered yesterday hundreds of them related to ABC, Alphabet and XYZ.
I wanted to compare that to .com / .net domain registrations relating to those three terms.
The “Alphabet” term ranked the highest, followed ... read more ...
Verisign Reports: Revenue adult 4.9%: 133.5 Million Registered .Com/.Net Domains
Verisign ended the second quarter with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.9 billion, an increase of $460 million as compared with year-end 2014.
Cash flow from operations was $175 million for the second quarter of 2015, compared with $121 million for the same quarter in 2014.
Deferred revenues on June 30, 2015, totaled $932 million, an increase of $41 million from year-end 2014.
Capital expenditures were $9 million in the second quarter of 2015.
During the ... read more ...
ICA Sounds The Alarm: Tell ICANN No to URS during .Travel – Or It Will Travel to .Com
- Phil Corwin of the Internet Commerce Association (the “ICA) just published a post, sounding a very loud alarm, to head off what would be the first step that would make all .Com domain name subject to the Uniform Rapid Suspension Policy (URS) which allows “trademark holders” to go after domain names.
To remind everyone the URS which is only in effect for new gTLD’s is now being proposed in the new contract for the .Travel Registry which is not a new gTLD but an incumbent Top Level Domain ... read more ...
JV.net still shows accessible to register though is indeed reserved
- The domain name JV.net shows available when you do a whois look up, but when you go to register it the domain is not available. The domain dropped in 2013. The domain looks to have been owned by JVM out of Korea. These 1 and 2 charater .net names got reserved in 2005 and in 2010 Verisign wanted to auction them off, they later decided against that plan.
Usually when a domain is reserved the whois shows that IANA has reserved the domain like with the following R.net:
It looks like JV.net must just ... read more ...
China Dominates 7 Out of Top 10 Trending Keyword Registrations For .Com Domains In March
- Verisign’s has posted the top 10 trending keywords registered in .COM and .NET for the month of March
The word “China” was the top trending keyword for both .com and .net registrations in March.
The next three most trending terms in .Com were also Chinese words.
So the top 4 keywords registered in .Com were Chinese and 7 of the top 10.
Only appliance, Guys and Rehab were non-Chinese words (including China)
Certainly further proof buyers from China are moving the domain market and aftermarket
Here ... read more ...
Top 10 Keywords Registered .Com & .Net In January
Verisign a registry for .Com and .Netpublished a tip 10 keywords purebred in .COM and .NET. for a month of January
Here are a trending registrations from January:
Glitter & Hemp among final month's prohibited .com domain names
- Throw some glitter and order some hemp oil. That’s what domain name registrants did last month.
Verisign has started a monthly feature of the top 10 “trending” keywords used in new .com and .net domain name registrations.
The trending keywords are calculated based on the biggest growth in that keyword in new registrations, thus avoiding having “online” be the number one keyword each month.
Last month’s trending .com’s include glitter because of ShipYourEnemiesGlitter.com getting lots ... read more ...
How is .Com? Verisign discusses, and signs 11 IDN contracts
- Verisign signs transliteration TLD contracts, discusses the state of .com.
There was a lot of interesting information in yesterday’s Verisign quarterly investor conference call.
First, the company said it signed 11 contracts for its IDN transliterations of .com and .net, meaning that investors of IDN.com domain names might be close to getting their hands on IDN.com-as-IDN domains.
I say might because Verisign isn’t willing to put a date on it and hinted that the end is not near. The company ... read more ...
.Net’s Fall Below 15 Million Registrations
The number of domain names in the .Net zone file fell below 15 Million as of the last update by Verisign
There are now officially 14,998,816 .Net domain registered.
.Net first passed the 15 million mark in August 2013.
At the end of the first quarter of 2014 (March 31st 2014) there were around 15.2 million registrations according to Verisign.
However the reduction in .Net domains which were generally regarded with .Org as the new best choice to a .Com was expected with the launched of hundred of ... read more ...
1st Day New gTLD Totals .immo 5,274; .Business 3,292; .Software 3,068; .Network 3,055; .Pizza 1,272; .Auction 1,056
- 6 New gTLD’s went into their first day of General Availability (GA) yesterday where they could be registered on a first come, first served basis.
Including all domain names registered during the Sunrise Period by trademark holders and in the Early Access Period (EAP) for those who were willing to pay a one time fee for early access more than 17,000 domain names were registered across the six new domain extensions which is the best first day performance by non-city new gTLD’s for a long time.
Here ... read more ...
Why .com had a good entertain (and .net didn’t )
Thank the Chinese and discount pricing for continued demand for .com domain names.
Verisign handled 8.7 million new registrations in .com and .net in the third quarter this year, the most ever in a third quarter.
That amounted to 1.15 million domain names added to the namespace. The addition was basically all in .com, as .net continued a flat/slow decline.
So why did .com do so well? And why did .net flounder? Here’s Verisign’s viewpoint, gleaned from its Verisign’s ... read more ...
Verisign’s new videos: Make your Idea Official [watch]
Clever video series promotes registering a domain name as the first step in a business idea.
Verisign released a couple videos today as part of its “Make your Idea Official” campaign. The videos remind me a bit of more recent humorous ads from GoDaddy. Although the videos promote .com and .net, they’re good overall for promoting domain name registration.
In the first video, a guy see’s some other dude moving in on his “idea” at a club:
The second one ... read more ...
Verisign reports negligence growth, hikes .Net prices 10%
.Com base inches forward, .Net prices are increasing.
Verisign reported earnings after the bell today, and the results for .com/.net aren’t that promising.
It gets harder to grow something as it gets bigger, but net adds across these two domain names slowed by quite a bit.
Verisign reported just 0.42 million net new ads during the second quarter. Last year in the same quarter it added 1.2 million domain names.
The good news for Verisign is that new registrations ... read more ...